November 6, 2011

Chicken, Broccoli & Rice Casserole

I remember this one from when I was a kid. Coming home from a long day of dance classes and then eating about 3 servings of this stuff! It really hit the spot. Since James loves broccoli, I thought this was something he would like... and he did! I didn't have bread to crumble on the top, so we just did with out it. It is good either way.

Chicken, Broccoli & Rice Casserole

6 chicken breasts, boiled and then shredded
2 bunches of broccoli
1 can cream of mushroom soup
1 can cream of chicken soup
1 TB lemon juice
1 c. mayonnaise ( I used plain greek yogurt. I am not a mayonnaise fan)
1 1/2 c. grated cheddar
1/2 tsp curry
1/2 c. chicken broth
4 c. cooked rice (I used brown rice)
1/2 loaf white bread

Cook and cut up chicken. Cook broccoli until slightly tender. In a nonstick 9x13 pan, spread rice in bottom. Top with broccoli and then chicken. Mix mayonnaise, soups, cheese, curry, broth and lemon juice. Heat in saucepan until cheese in melted. Pour over chicken. Cut crust of 1/2 loaf of bread. Break up into chunks. Place over soup mixture until it is completely covered. Bake at 350, covered in foil, for 30 minutes. Remove foil, bake until bread is browned, approximately 10 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment