June 24, 2011

Tumi Salad


I signed up to make a side dish for a family from Church who just had a baby. The main dish was teriyaki chicken and rice. I knew a salad would go well, but wanted to make something more than just your typical green salad. So I turned to the cook book and decided on the Tumi Salad. I loved this as a kid and had not eaten it in quite sometime. I made two salad. One with the normal dressing, and one for us with a dressing made with less than 1/4 c. oil, but more vinegar. I asked Haws to taste test them for me and he said he actually liked the one with less oil! He said it had more flavor which makes sense. So you can choose what you like on this. You can also add cooked chicken to make it a main dish. It is good.

TUMI SALAD

1 head cabbage, shredded
1/2c. sesame seeds
8 green onions, chopped
3/4c. slivered almonds
1 pkg Top Ramen noodles, crushed (remove seasoning packet)
1 TB butter
(cooked chicken breast chunks if making a main dish)

Dressing:
1/4 c. sugar
1 tsp. pepper
1 c. vegetable oil (I used 1/4 c.)
1 tsp. sesame oil
1/3 c. rice vinegar (I used 3/4 c.)
2 tsp. salt

Brown almonds and sesame seeds in 1 TB butter. Let cool. Mix cabbage and green onion in mixing bowl, add almonds and sesame seeds. Mix dressing well and then add to salad. If using chicken, mix in with salad. Top with crumbled Top Ramen.

No comments:

Post a Comment